When it was my birthday Brenton and I went out to dinner at the local Indian restaurant.. He had the Prawn Malabar, which we both loved (he HAD to share with me, it was my birthday after all) We have some prawns in the freezer from my brother who sometimes gets them given to him but he doesn't like them!! Lucky us!!
I had a go at recreating this dish last night!!
I did find a recipe on the net but I changed it of course!!
First I browned a large onion in a little oil along with 1-1/2 tablespoons each of garlic, ginger and chilli. I also added tumeric but not as much as the first three... I added chopped tomato, only had 1 and a half in the fridge but could have added twice that.. I gently fried it all, added a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of coconut milk. I started cooking my rice in the rice cooker and then popped the prawns in to poach in the sauce. (Use however many prawns you think each person will have) Pappadams in the microwave were easy and you just have to have them with a dish like this!! We ate the leftovers for dinner tonight and the chilli had really come out overnight so maybe watch that if you don't love chilli. I have developed a taste for it over the last year or two and really liked it with the chilli!
I think this would be just as nice with chicken or beef if slowly cooked so the beef is nice and tender...
We went for a Sunday drive to Tumby this afternoon. Brenton's Grandparents are buried in the Cemetary there so we put some flowers on the gravesite. We went to the Ritz for burgers and very yummy hot chips. Then to the playground, but it was a bit wet so the girls couldn't really get onto too many of the equiptment. Was all good fun though and lovely to get the kids out of the house. A good afternoon while Brenton is home! He is gone again way too quickly but I must say he is being so much more helpful around the house.. It is amazing really. Just doing housework and dealing with the kids like he has never done before. And he is more than happy to. A big change, and an unexpected bonus of him working away!
I finished my canvas for my friend Kylie in Roxby tonight so that it can go back up there with Brenton. I am quite happy with it. I have been inspired by Nicole Pomeroy in a big way so it probably looks alot like what she does but am not going to get into them too much, just for gifts here and there, and it took me over 7 weeks to finish as I kept adding little bits here and there over time. I am not a quick worker. Photos to come later on. I am happy with it, as I have put elements of her and her family on it, and she saw the half finished canvas when she came down for the long lunch and she got all teary then so hope she likes the finished product just as much...
Ok then, hope everyone has had a good weekend. Too many wines for me Friday night meant I felt tired and unmotivated yesterday. Why oh why do I continue to even drink it?? Crazy is what that is.... lol!!
xx

No comments:
Post a Comment